The functions of construction supervision are, in particular, securing the interests of the local government authority, including:
1) verification of conformity to established requirements of building design documentation and of as-built drawings of construction work;
2) issuing of building permits;
3) issuing of usage permits;
4) verification of conformity of construction work to established requirements;
5) organisation of expert assessments to verify the conformity of construction work to established requirements;
6) verification of the compliance of undertakings specified in the Building Act with established requirements;
7) organisation of investigations into the causes of accidents during construction work; and
8) issuing of enforcement orders within the competence of the issuer.
The local government authority also exercises supervision over construction work on public bodies of water which have a permanent connection to the shore. Supervision over construction work on public bodies of water which do not have a permanent connection to the shore is within the competence of the Estonian Technical Surveillance Authority.
In contrast, the main task of owner supervision is directly securing the interests of the owner of structure (observing adherence to building design documentation during construction, quality and environmental protection and occupational safety) in the building process. This service is offered by TSM Projektijuhtimise OÜ.